Sunday, September 16, 2012

Quilt Trunk Show

I think this is the one that got 1st place yesterday at our little quilt show held at the Train Depot in Ardmore in conjunction with the Antique Car Show.  Thanks, Diane Caudle, for the invitation to participate!  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Now.... back to the subject! 
The quilt above was hand sewn, and those cathedral windows were about 2 or 2-1/2 inches small!  It was a LOVELY quilt.  Sorry, I didn't record the name of the lady who brought it. 
Nelda Smith of Ardmore let us show 9 of her quilts plus her decorated bra.  Nelda does SUPERB hand appliqué, and 4 of her quilts shown yesterday were made using men's neckties!  
You'll recall that I was *given*  TWO SUV's FULL of neckties this summer! That's a LOT of ties!  1 suitcase full is being sent to Africa. 4 smallish boxes have been sent to Belleville, TX, with Carolyn and Lorna. They'll find places to donate them down there.  Whew! That's a lot-o-ties to go but there's a lot-o-ties left!  I guess that's why I'm so awed by Nelda's quilts.  I've had some of those ties in my hands- they're slick & wiggly & I'm sure they ravel.  Hand stitch them?  Nope, not me.
But please, have a look at these marvels by Nelda Smith!










Here's the bra she's done that will auctioned for the Breast Cancer cause. I wish I had gotten a better picture. There's a roach in the center, a bat on the upper left side, and spiders galore.
Nelda let us show a few more of her quilts. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. 



The quilt & antique cars show was just ONE of the activities yesterday during Ardmore's FIESTA OKLAHOMA. There were tasting booths, artist's creations for sale, bands, a clown, all sorts of kids things. Here's some kiddos that were emerging from a car outside our store yesterday.

We had our first SALE yesterday. Many thanks to those of you who came in!  We had all layer cakes and jelly rolls, Shannon fabric kits, & some books-n-magazines all 25% off. 
Not to worry! We'll do it again some time!





1 comment:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Alicia. I enjoyed your photos of the quilt show. Nelda's Halloween quilts are really cute and the bra is kick! What a great job she did on it.
best, nadia