Monday, November 3, 2008

Market Recovery in Progress

Howdy again! It's been a busy time around here. The trip to Quilt Market in Houston is always a big deal- and it's become my yearly "vacation". And last Saturday our youngest son was married- it was a beautiful thing!

Ignore the date on the picture-- obviously I forgot to reset it after recharging the battery. But except for the wrong date, it's a picture of a lovely couple, isn't it? We are thrilled to have Jennifer in our family and of course I'm a little partial to the young man!

Now- back to Market! I'm still trying to put everything away from the trip to Quilt Market in Houston. The pocket book came home less empty than last year, which is a great thing! Still, there are so many new products, patterns and who-knows-what-else. Lots of ideas, lots of notes from the schoolhouse series classes, and of course the goodies from Sample Spree. I picked up a few jelly rolls of batiks from Freedom Fabrics. I'd not seen their line before, it's from England, I think. The last class during Schoolhouse was about these fabrics and they're a beautiful line with a fine hand and finish.

One of the best parts this year was having a new perspective to peek through. I'd been visiting with our new local Bernina shop owner about some possible classes, and since she's not a quilt shop- she's a Bernina-Singer machine shop- so products that might not have caught my eye before DiD this time. Like what, you say? Like the ArtzGirl products, sewing projects like bags, aprons, children's clothing (have you seen Oliver + S patterns?) and more.



I bought a thread sampler from Wonderfil threads- everything from 100 wt to 12 wt. That ought to give me some different threads to try out, huh? Actually, I did use the 100 wt already- I was working on the Chit Chat bag shown in the current Through the Needle magazine and wanted to couch some threads but couldn't find any monofilament thread in my studio. So I used the dark purple 100 wt thread to couch green and gold threads on the bag-- and the purple was hardly visible. Want to see the bag?


There's more stuff that will be arriving from Market and I'll post more as I get to go through it. For now, let me close with this shot of the notebook I made in Bonnie McCaffery's class at Schoolhouse, and some key fobs I whipped out yesterday. The hot fix crystals aren't very visible but I had fun using them! First time for that...

No comments: